Evening prior to strike: Wednesday 30th October
Set an out of office message from your University email – suggested text below.
UCU, Unite and Unison members are striking on Thursday 31st October in dispute over the pay squeeze on University staff salaries. I will not be responding to any emails or phone messages received on 31st October. Please email or call again on Friday 1st November.
Why are we striking?
The joint unions are taking industrial action in protest against falling pay. Salaries in HE have fallen by around 13% in 5 years, when inflation is taken into account.
What do we hope to achieve?
By taking industrial action, trade union members are sending a message to university management that they deserve proper support and remuneration for their work. For more information on the strike visit the UCU webpage at: http://www.ucu.org.uk/hepay13
Strike Day: Thursday 31st October 2013
• If you are available for the picket line do turn up at your allocated entrance by 7:30am for set up. Pickets start from 8am.
• If you are not able to make it for 8am, but are available later in the morning do come along to the Northampton Square entrance.
• If you are taking strike action, whether or not you are available for picketing or if you have child-care responsibilities during half-term you are welcome to come to the rally at Northampton Square entrance from 11am.
• A rally has been organised to take place at 2pm on Thursday. The rally will take place in Conway Hall, Red Lion Square, near Holborn. There will be speakers from all of the three striking trades’ unions.
After the strike
• When asked by management members should feel proud to inform City University London that they took part in the strike.
• UCU members will commence work to contract on 1st November – further instructions to follow.
If you have any questions, please contact your rep or email firstname.lastname@example.org
We wish you all the best and see you on the 31st!
For fair pay, for job security, for working conditions!